In 1902, Mr. John Taylor Cochrane purchased some land on which Aliceville now sets. He had the land surveyed into lots, blocks, and streets that were laid out in an orderly plan. He was also one of the organizers of the town’s first bank, Aliceville Bank and Trust, and served as its first president. The new town was then incorporated as a municipality of the State of Alabama on March 18, 1907.
Mark Gilliam and his team, Jessica Pippen, Dayna Edmonds and Kristen Lane are very excited to be serving Pickens County and the surrounding area with great insurance and banking products from State Farm. Give them a call at (205) 373-8748 or stop by the office located at 400 3rd Avenue NE in Aliceville.
The 5th Annual Aliceville Fall Street Fair is scheduled for Saturday, October 28th, in downtown Aliceville. The event features:
- Craft and Food Vendors
- An automobile cruise-in
- Live entertainment, featuring Taylor Martin and Brenda Corder Reed
- Kid and animal costume contest at 11AM
- FREE children activities including Tuscaloosa Barnyard Petting Zoo, bounce houses and an art station
Marva D. Gipson
District 1 - Thomas Fitzgerald Wilkins
District 2 - Warren E. Lavender II
District 3 - Terrence Windham
District 4 - Robert Wilder
District 5 - Donald Max Allen
Aliceville has its own elementary, middle, and high schools in the Pickens County school system. Our citizens love cheering on the Yellow Jacket football team each week in the fall. The mission statement for Aliceville High School is "Inspiring ethical leaders...one child at a time." We are also nearby to Pickens Academy, a private school offering quality education since 1970.
The Aliceville Area Chamber of Commerce was organized in 1924 with the goal of fostering growth and well-being to industrial, agricultural and overall commercial interests of Aliceville and surrounding areas. We strive to promote the civic, economic and social welfare of the citizens of the Aliceville Area.
The construction of Camp Aliceville began in August 1942 and was completed by December. The camp began receiving German POWs, at first mostly from Erwin Rommel's Afrika Corps, in June 1943. It comprised 400 wood-frame barracks, which could hold as many as 6,000 prisoners and 900 Army personnel. Aliceville was the largest of the eleven POW camps in the Southeastern U.S. By the end of the war Camp Aliceville held German prisoners captured in many different locations. September 30, 1945. The camp was dismantled and sold for scrap after the war, and its only remaining trace is an old stone chimney.